Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
Szechuan-style stir-fried tofu with ground beef. You can adjust the spicy-ness scale by substituting chilli sauce with ketchup and add more/less chilli flakes.
- 200 g firm tofu, cubed
- 300 g ground beef
- 4 scallions, chopped,green and white separated
- 1 tablespoon onion, minced (i used small red ones)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup chinese rice wine or 1⁄4 cup sherry wine
- 1 tablespoon chili sauce (or ketchup)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 5 small dried chilies
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch, dissolved in
- 1 tablespoon water
- chili flakes, to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Combine soy sauce, sherry, chilli sauce, sugar and oyster sauce; stir. Marinate tofu cubes in the sauce ingredients for 15mins or more.
- Sprinkle ground beef with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in wok, stir fry onions, garlic and ginger until fragrant. Add dried chilli and scallion bottoms, stir fry for 1 minute.
- Add seasoned ground beef and continue to stir fry until browned.
- Add tofu and sauce, combine well. Let simmer 1-2mins.
- Add chilli flakes, if you like it really spicy!
- Add cornstarch mixture, stir fry until sauce thicken.
- Garnish with chopped scallion greens, and serve with jasmine rice.
this was really great and I had all the ingredients on hand. The siracha sauce is a must, don't try ketchup! Will make it again. My asian husband loved it!
This is my first try of WaterMelon's recipes. My husband ate it and loved it. He ate the leftovers again for lunch today. He is Russian, so obviously this recipe crosses borders. I didn't make it as spicy because he can't take the spice. Also, I didn't have oyster sauce or sherry, but it seems to have turned out pretty well anyway. Also, WaterMelon just want to let you know that I love your food photos.
That was absolutely delicious. I've tried a few of your recipes, and each has been better than the last. Thank you!