Recipe by WaterMelon
Szechuan-style stir-fried tofu with ground beef. You can adjust the spicy-ness scale by substituting chilli sauce with ketchup and add more/less chilli flakes.
- 200 g firm tofu, cubed
- 300 g ground beef
- 4 scallions, chopped,green and white separated
- 1 tablespoon onion, minced (i used small red ones)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup chinese rice wine or 1⁄4 cup sherry wine
- 1 tablespoon chili sauce (or ketchup)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 5 small dried chilies
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch, dissolved in
- 1 tablespoon water
- chili flakes, to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine soy sauce, sherry, chilli sauce, sugar and oyster sauce; stir. Marinate tofu cubes in the sauce ingredients for 15mins or more.
- Sprinkle ground beef with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in wok, stir fry onions, garlic and ginger until fragrant. Add dried chilli and scallion bottoms, stir fry for 1 minute.
- Add seasoned ground beef and continue to stir fry until browned.
- Add tofu and sauce, combine well. Let simmer 1-2mins.
- Add chilli flakes, if you like it really spicy!
- Add cornstarch mixture, stir fry until sauce thicken.
- Garnish with chopped scallion greens, and serve with jasmine rice.