- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3⁄4 cup self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2 small sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 jalapeno, finely chopped
- 4 green onions, sliced thin
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup buttermilk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat deep fryer to 375 degrees F.
- Mix all the ingredients together into a large mixing bowl to form a thick batter.
- Dip 2 tablespoon spoons into water. Using the spoons scoop up some of the batter and drop into the hot oil. Work in batches. Fry for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden and brown. Remove and drain on a paper towel lined sheet tray.