Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
If you've never had traditional black-eyed pea dip, do yourself a favor and try this yummy cheesy version!
- 1 3⁄4 cups dried black-eyed peas
- 2 -5 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped, to taste
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 ounces butter
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped mild green chilies
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (not sweetened)
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 slice well-cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion
- Tabasco sauce, to taste
- Soak and rinse the peas then cook according to package directions (or use three 15-ounce cans of black-eyed peas); drain and set aside.
- Whir together the jalapeño peppers, onion, and garlic in a food processor until smooth; set aside.
- Over high heat in a double boiler over boiling water, combine the butter and cheese and stir together until the cheese is melted.
- Lower heat to medium and add the green chilies, cooked peas, pepper mixture, and remaining ingredients and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Pour into serving dish and serve immediately, hot, with tortilla chips.
- Some folks add about a 1/2 cup of cooked corn to the dip, as well, but I prefer it without.
- If you're diabetic and avoiding carbohydrates, you can substitute black soybeans for the peas and it'll taste pretty much the same but will be much lower in carbs (and higher in fiber).