If you've never had traditional black-eyed pea dip, do yourself a favor and try this yummy cheesy version!
My Private Note
LARGE b ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 3/4 cups dried black-eyed peas
- 2 -5 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped, to taste
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 ounces butter
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped mild green chilies
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (not sweetened)
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 slice well-cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- Tabasco sauce, to taste
- 1Soak and rinse the peas then cook according to package directions (or use three 15-ounce cans of black-eyed peas); drain and set aside.
- 2Whir together the jalapeño peppers, onion, and garlic in a food processor until smooth; set aside.
- 3Over high heat in a double boiler over boiling water, combine the butter and cheese and stir together until the cheese is melted.
- 4Lower heat to medium and add the green chilies, cooked peas, pepper mixture, and remaining ingredients and cook for another 5 minutes.
- 5Pour into serving dish and serve immediately, hot, with tortilla chips.
- 6Some folks add about a 1/2 cup of cooked corn to the dip, as well, but I prefer it without.
- 7If you're diabetic and avoiding carbohydrates, you can substitute black soybeans for the peas and it'll taste pretty much the same but will be much lower in carbs (and higher in fiber).
Browse Our Top Spreads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hot and Spicy Cheesy Black-Eyed Pea Dip
Serving Size: 1 (938 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3008.3
- Calories from Fat 1739
- Total Fat 193.2 g
- Saturated Fat 117.8 g
- Cholesterol 521.8 mg
- Sodium 3670.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 198.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 34.8 g
- Sugars 29.2 g
- Protein 133.2 g