Recipe by happynana
From Crisco but I did modify for us. This was a very nice side dish. Very spicy.
Top Review by WiGal
Very good, easy, healthy, and attractive. It really packs the heat and am sure that most people will love it just as posted but we thought it was too hot for us, next time I will use ordinary tomatoes w/o the green chiles. I, also, sort of wondered if maybe some black beans put into this might be good? The temperature, timing, and directions are very easy to follows. And did use the prepackaged coleslaw mix which I measured out into 4 cups and had some left over so maybe the ratio works out differently? Congratulations happynana for becoming Frog#6 in Top Favorites of 2008 Game!
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (can use more or less)
- 1 (10 ounce) canrotel diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 cups sliced cabbage (I used from premade packaged coleslaw mix)
- fresh ground pepper
- sea salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon hot sauce (optional, can use more or less, we used Franks)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook and stir until crisp tender.
- Add tomatoes, undrained, and sugar. Bring to boil and simmer 3 minutes.
- Add cabbage, pepper, salt and hot sauce.
- Simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve immediately.