Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Uses canned balck-eyed peas, so is quick to make. Adjust "heat" to your liking. Good with cornbread. Can sizes are approximates.
- 3 slices bacon
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (16 ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- In a large frying pan, cook bacon slices until crisp. Remove and drain on a paper towel. When cool, crumble into pieces.
- Using the same pan, add onion, green pepper and garlic to bacon drippings and saute over medium heat until onions start to soften. Add remaining ingredients heat to a low boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Divide between 2 large bowls (or 4 smaller bowls) and top with bacon pieces.