Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 1⁄2 cup dried mushroom
- 1 cup water
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1⁄2 cup bamboo shoots, sliced, cut in matchstick pieces or 1⁄2 cup water chestnut, sliced
- 4 ounces tofu, diced
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 green onions, cut into 1-inch diagonal slices (including tops)
- Cover mushrooms with water and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Remove mushrooms; cut off and discard stems.
- Thinly slice mushrooms and set aside.
- Measure soaking water (discard any sandy portion at the bottom) and add enough stock to make a total of 4 cupcs liquid.
- Place in a 2-quart pan and add sherry, bamboo shoots, and sliced mushrooms.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add tofu, peas, white vinegar, and soy; heat for 3 minutes.
- In a small bowl, stir together cornstarch and the 1/4 cup water.
- Add to soup and cook, stirring, until slightly thickened.
- Turn off heat.
- Add pepper and seasameoil.
- Stirring continuously, slowly pour egg into soup.
- Sprinkle with onion; add salt to taste.
This is a very good recipe. I found, however, that I had to add 2-3 times as much soy sauce as the recipe calls for or quite a bit of salt (I prefer soy sauce because it adds flavour). I also skip vegetable stock and green peas, and sometimes I slice into thin strips and add the white parts of the scallions close to the start of cooking.