Recipe by Hadice
Vegetarian version of the Chinese favorite. Many thin tofu is bland, but it actually takes on the flavor of whatever it is cooked in. In this case it happens to be soy, vinegar and pepper flakes.
- 44.37 ml vegetable oil
- 177.44 ml red bell pepper, cut into julienne strips
- 354.88 ml chopped green onions
- 473.18 ml vegetable stock
- 473.18 ml water
- 29.58 ml soy sauce
- 9.85 ml red wine vinegar
- 2.46 ml crushed red pepper flakes
- 29.58 ml cornstarch
- 44.37 ml water
- 4.92 ml sesame oil
- 226.79 g snow peas (fresh or frozen) (optional)
- 453.59 g firm tofu, drained and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 226.79 g can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a soup kettle and saute the green onions and bell peppers together until tender.
- Add water, vegetable stock, and soy sauce.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, cover lightly, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Blend cornstarch with 3 tablespoons water.
- In a bowl, blend the vinegar, pepper flakes, cornstarch blend, and sesame oil.
- Stir into the hot soup until incorporated, and then add the tofu, snow peas, and water chestnuts.
- Again cover, and cook for about 5 minutes or until thick and bubbly.
- Turn off the heat.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste, serve immediately.