1/1 Photo of Hot and Sour Tofu Soup
Vegetarian version of the Chinese favorite. Many thin tofu is bland, but it actually takes on the flavor of whatever it is cooked in. In this case it happens to be soy, vinegar and pepper flakes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup red bell pepper, cut into julienne strips
- 1 1/2 cups chopped green onions
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 lb snow peas (fresh or frozen) (optional)
- 1 lb firm tofu, drained and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- salt and pepper
- 1Heat the oil in a soup kettle and saute the green onions and bell peppers together until tender.
- 2Add water, vegetable stock, and soy sauce.
- 3Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, cover lightly, and cook for 5 minutes.
- 4Blend cornstarch with 3 tablespoons water.
- 5In a bowl, blend the vinegar, pepper flakes, cornstarch blend, and sesame oil.
- 6Stir into the hot soup until incorporated, and then add the tofu, snow peas, and water chestnuts.
- 7Again cover, and cook for about 5 minutes or until thick and bubbly.
- 8Turn off the heat.
- 9Adjust salt and pepper to taste, serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Soy/Tofu Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hot and Sour Tofu Soup
Serving Size: 1 (224 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 125.0
- Calories from Fat 73
- Total Fat 8.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 266.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 5.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: