Recipe by A la Carte
I haven't made this yet. But you can make the stock ahead, so I like the idea of this. Sounds like a good starter for a dinner party, or a nice lunch just for me.
- 2 lbs uncooked large shrimp (shrimp)
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 small red chilies, sliced
- 2 stalks fresh lemongrass, sliced
- 6 fresh kaffir lime leaves, roughly chopped
- 8 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 sprigs fresh coriander, roots
- 1⁄4 cup fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 2 shallots, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Shell and devein the prawns if you need to. Reserve the shells.
- Heat oil over medium heat in a pan, add prawn shells, garlic and chilies, cook stirring, about 5 minutes or until the shells are red and the mixture is fragrant.
- Add lemongrass, lime leaves, water, juice, sugar, sauce and coriander roots and simmer, covered for 30 minutes.
- Strain the stock.
- Place the strained stock, prawns, coriander leaves and shallots into a clean pan, and simmer, covered for about 3 minutes until the prawns are tender.