Recipe by CaliforniaJan
Fresh lemon juice lends the soup a tangy, sour flavor. Add more juice, if you like. From Cooking Light.
Top Review by breezermom
Great hot and sour soup! I've never had it with shrimp, and was very happy with the results. The only change I'd make is to reduce the tofu amount a bit, and maybe increase the liquids. The broth had a wonderful flavor and aroma. Quick and easy to put together, so this could easily be made on a week night after work. Thanks for sharing! Made for Photo Tag.
- 4 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup pre-sliced mushroom
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) cansliced bamboo shoots, drained
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 3⁄4 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 8 ounces reduced-fat firm tofu, drained and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 large egg white, beaten
- 1 teaspoon chili oil (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Add juice, vinegar, pepper, shrimp, and tofu to pan; bring to a boil.
- Cook 2 minutes or until shrimp are almost done. Combine cornstarch and water in a small bowl, stirring until smooth. Add cornstarch mixture to pan; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly with a whisk. Slowly drizzle egg white into pan, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in chili oil, pepper and onions.