Recipe by William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin
A classic comfort food that is easy to prepare. This recipe appeared in our local paper and it is just great.
Top Review by kitina
This same recipe was in today's paper!! Wow is it good, I am sure this will chase some colds away! I can't wait to make it again, my kitchen smells wonderful and my tastebuds are dancing!
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 12 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 pieces fresh gingerroot, each, about 1/4 inch in thickness
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 4 stalks lemongrass
- 2 whole limes
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chili-garlic sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- To a medium size cooking pot, add chicken broth, ginger and brown sugar.
- To prepare lemon grass; remove all but the bottom 5 inches of the stalks.
- Place 8 to 10 outside lemon grass sheaths into soup pot, (the sheaths are used like a bay leaf).
- Mince the bottom 2 inches of the tender inside leaves and set aside,(require about 3 tablespoons).
- With a potato peeler, peel 6 strips of rind from one lime and add to the broth; (make sure to only use the outer green rind).
- Bring broth to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- While chicken is cooking, grate rind (NO PITH) from the remaining lime and set aside.
- Juice both limes to measure 3 tablespoons of juice and set aside.
- When chicken is cooked through, remove from pot to a plate and shred chicken using 2 forks.
- At this time, strain broth and return to cooking pot. Discard any solids.
- Add shredded chicken into the cooking pot.
- Add minced lemon grass, grated lime rind, lime juice, shallots, fish sauce and garlic chili pepper sauce.
- Bring soup back to a simmer and sprinkle with cilantro.
- Serve immediately.
- In small bowls,mix together with additional chopped cilantro and garlic-chili pepper sauce for additional garnish if desired.