William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin's Note:
A classic comfort food that is easy to prepare. This recipe appeared in our local paper and it is just great.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 12 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 pieces fresh gingerroot, each, about 1/4 inch in thickness
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 4 stalks lemongrass
- 2 whole limes
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili-garlic sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1To a medium size cooking pot, add chicken broth, ginger and brown sugar.
- 2To prepare lemon grass; remove all but the bottom 5 inches of the stalks.
- 3Place 8 to 10 outside lemon grass sheaths into soup pot, (the sheaths are used like a bay leaf).
- 4Mince the bottom 2 inches of the tender inside leaves and set aside,(require about 3 tablespoons).
- 5With a potato peeler, peel 6 strips of rind from one lime and add to the broth; (make sure to only use the outer green rind).
- 6Bring broth to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 7While chicken is cooking, grate rind (NO PITH) from the remaining lime and set aside.
- 8Juice both limes to measure 3 tablespoons of juice and set aside.
- 9When chicken is cooked through, remove from pot to a plate and shred chicken using 2 forks.
- 10At this time, strain broth and return to cooking pot. Discard any solids.
- 11Add shredded chicken into the cooking pot.
- 12Add minced lemon grass, grated lime rind, lime juice, shallots, fish sauce and garlic chili pepper sauce.
- 13Bring soup back to a simmer and sprinkle with cilantro.
- 14Serve immediately.
- 15In small bowls,mix together with additional chopped cilantro and garlic-chili pepper sauce for additional garnish if desired.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hot and Sour Soup With Chicken and Lemon Grass
Serving Size: 1 (375 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 152.3
- Calories from Fat 22
- Total Fat 2.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 49.3 mg
- Sodium 1515.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 25.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: