Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
A classic comfort food that is easy to prepare. This recipe appeared in our local paper and it is just great.
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 12 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 pieces fresh gingerroot, each, about 1/4 inch in thickness
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 4 stalks lemongrass
- 2 whole limes
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chili-garlic sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- To a medium size cooking pot, add chicken broth, ginger and brown sugar.
- To prepare lemon grass; remove all but the bottom 5 inches of the stalks.
- Place 8 to 10 outside lemon grass sheaths into soup pot, (the sheaths are used like a bay leaf).
- Mince the bottom 2 inches of the tender inside leaves and set aside,(require about 3 tablespoons).
- With a potato peeler, peel 6 strips of rind from one lime and add to the broth; (make sure to only use the outer green rind).
- Bring broth to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- While chicken is cooking, grate rind (NO PITH) from the remaining lime and set aside.
- Juice both limes to measure 3 tablespoons of juice and set aside.
- When chicken is cooked through, remove from pot to a plate and shred chicken using 2 forks.
- At this time, strain broth and return to cooking pot. Discard any solids.
- Add shredded chicken into the cooking pot.
- Add minced lemon grass, grated lime rind, lime juice, shallots, fish sauce and garlic chili pepper sauce.
- Bring soup back to a simmer and sprinkle with cilantro.
- Serve immediately.
- In small bowls,mix together with additional chopped cilantro and garlic-chili pepper sauce for additional garnish if desired.
This same recipe was in today's paper!! Wow is it good, I am sure this will chase some colds away! I can't wait to make it again, my kitchen smells wonderful and my tastebuds are dancing!