Recipe by Sue Lau
This is the best version of hot and sour soup I have come across (outside of a restaurant), and I have tried many. It was very good to begin with, and I have made adaptations to make it even closer to what I expect from a great soup.
Top Review by LoriH
This sout seemed a little difficult with all the ingredients however I followed the directions and it turned out fantastic! I make homemade soup about 1x a week in the winter and my husband is used to having to try out my new recipes. After 1 bite he was really excited and gave it the highest compliment - this is the best soup you've ever made! Why haven't you made It before. It is both hot and soup not too salty and really authentic. T
- 1⁄4 lb lean pork loin
For Slippery Coating
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry white wine or 1 teaspoon sherry wine
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ground red pepper or hot oil (amount to taste)
For the Soup
- 4 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon tree ears or 1 tablespoon wood ear mushrooms (an edible mushroom also called black fungus)
- 1⁄4 cup shredded bamboo shoot
- 1 count package firm tofu (bean curd)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons minced cilantro (optional) or 1 scallion, finely chopped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut pork into 1/4-inch slices against the grain.
- Stack slices and shred thinly.
- Mix together ingredients for slippery coating in a small bowl and add meat; toss to coat.
- Soak shiitake mushrooms and tree ear mushrooms in hot water in separate bowls until softened.
- Drain, rinse, remove stems, and shred mushrooms.
- Mix together the 2 tbsp cornstarch with the 3 tbsp of water in a small dish to create a slurry, and set aside until needed.
- Beat egg with the 1 tsp dark sesame oil in a small dish and set aside until needed.
- Mix together ingredients for seasoning in a small dish and set aside until needed.
- Bring stock to a boil over high heat.
- Add the shiitake mushrooms and bamboo shoots.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Add meat, return to a boil, and add bean curd and tree ear mushrooms.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer 3 minutes.
- Stir cornstarch slurry to make sure it hasn't settled, and add to soup.
- Stir soup until it is satiny smooth and turn off heat.
- Pour beaten egg over surface in a wide circle, and as it congeals, stir gently a few times to break ribbons into flakes.
- Add seasoning to soup and blend.
- Serve soup hot in bowls garnished with cilantro or chopped scallion.