Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 40 mins
Cook 0 mins
You should be able to find the dried ingredients at an Asian market.
Make and share this Hot-And-Sour Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 whole chicken breast, bone-in skin and excess fat removed
- 6 cups chicken stock or 6 cups water
- 5 dried lily buds
- 3 -4 dried black fungus (cloud ear or tree ear)
- 3 -4 shiitake mushrooms
- 1⁄2 lb soft tofu or 1⁄2 lb firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice or 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 2 tbsp water (optional)
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- minced scallion (to garnish)
- Tabasco sauce or hot sesame oil
- Place the chicken and stock in a large, deep saucepan and turn the heat to high. Reduce heat to medium-low and partially cover.
- Cook for 20 minutes or until the chicken is just cooked through.
- While the chicken is cooking, soak the lily buds, fungus, and shiitake mushrooms in hot water and cover until soft (about 10-15 minutes). If the water cools before the mushrooms soften, drain and add more hot water.
- Remove the chicken and as soon as it's cool enough to handle, strip the meat from the bones and chop it.
- Trim and shed the lily buds, trim and mince the fungus and mushrooms. Add to the simmering broth.
- Return the chicken meat to the broth, along with the tofu, soy sauce, vinegar, and pepper.
- Add more soy sauce, salt, pepper, and vinegar to taste.
- Raise the heat a little bit and stir the eggs into the soup.
- Add the cornstarch to thicken.
- Float the sesame oil on top of the soup, then add the scallions to garnish.
- Serve and add hot sauce to taste.