You should be able to find the dried ingredients at an Asian market.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 whole chicken breast, bone-in skin and excess fat removed
- 6 cups chicken stock or 6 cups water
- 5 dried lily buds
- 3 -4 dried black fungus (cloud ear or tree ear)
- 3 -4 shiitake mushrooms
- 1/2 lb soft tofu or 1/2 lb firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice or 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 2 tbsp water (optional)
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- minced scallion (to garnish)
- Tabasco sauce or hot sesame oil
- 1Place the chicken and stock in a large, deep saucepan and turn the heat to high. Reduce heat to medium-low and partially cover.
- 2Cook for 20 minutes or until the chicken is just cooked through.
- 3While the chicken is cooking, soak the lily buds, fungus, and shiitake mushrooms in hot water and cover until soft (about 10-15 minutes). If the water cools before the mushrooms soften, drain and add more hot water.
- 4Remove the chicken and as soon as it's cool enough to handle, strip the meat from the bones and chop it.
- 5Trim and shed the lily buds, trim and mince the fungus and mushrooms. Add to the simmering broth.
- 6Return the chicken meat to the broth, along with the tofu, soy sauce, vinegar, and pepper.
- 7Add more soy sauce, salt, pepper, and vinegar to taste.
- 8Raise the heat a little bit and stir the eggs into the soup.
- 9Add the cornstarch to thicken.
- 10Float the sesame oil on top of the soup, then add the scallions to garnish.
- 11Serve and add hot sauce to taste.
Browse Our Top Asian Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Asian Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hot-And-Sour Soup
Serving Size: 1 (546 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 384.9
- Calories from Fat 171
- Total Fat 19.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.6 g
- Cholesterol 150.2 mg
- Sodium 853.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 6.6 g
- Protein 32.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried lily buds
dried black fungus