Recipe by nutdoc
This is my family's very favorite soup! It taste just like take-out! It's quick and easy. I have been making it for years. Have a cold? Forget that plain old chicken soup! ***IMPORTANT TIP*** I suggest making this soup a day or two ahead to let the vegetables and tofu marinate! Then just heat and serve. Enjoy!
Top Review by Askem23
WONDERFUL SOUP! This recipe is the best I've had. Marinating it over night really adds to the depth of flavor, great tip! The 2nd time I made this I doubled the amount of liquid and spice and left the veggie amounts the same. I like extra broth. It's also worth mentioning that I thought I wouldn't like the Tofu- but when it's left to marinate it completely takes on the flavor of the soup! This recipe is a keeper!
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄4 lb julienned lean pork or 1⁄4 lb chicken
- 2 tablespoons garlic and red chile paste
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup sliced shiitake mushroom
- 1 (15 ounce) canpeeled straw mushrooms
- 1⁄2 ounce dried black fungus (soak in water for an hour before using)
- 1 (7 ounce) cansliced bamboo shoots
- 1 (7 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts
- 1 (15 ounce) can baby sweet corn cobs
- 1⁄2 lb soft tofu, sliced into 1/4 inch cubes
- 1⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- finely chopped scallion (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring stock to a simmer, add soy sauce, pork, mushrooms& chile paste, simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add meat, pepper, vinegar, bamboo, baby corn, water chestnuts, fungus and tofu, simmer 10 min Mix cornstarch with 5 tbsp water and add.
- bring back to a simmer and pour the eggs in a very thin stream over the surface.
- Let stand for 10 seconds before gently stirring in the sesame oil.
- Serve with a garnish of chopped scallions.