Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Basic Hot and Sour Soup, add what you like!
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 4 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 inch gingerroot
- 1 (12 1/3 ounce) box firm silken tofu
- 1 (8 ounce) cansliced bamboo shoots
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts
- 1⁄4 cup frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄3 cup rice vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 egg
- Soak mushrooms in warm water until soft, about 15 minutes. Reserve liquid.
- Bring chicken stock and 2 quarts water to a boil.
- Slice chicken into thin strips (it helps if it's partially frozen, cut the thick part of the breast in two lengthwise before slicing).
- Add chicken and ginger to boiling water.
- Slice mushrooms thin, removing stems. Add mushroom water and sliced caps to the pot. Simmer 10 minutes or so.
- Add bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, salt, and cubed tofu.
- Mix soy sauce, vinegar, corn starch, and pepper together and add to boiling pot.
- Beat egg slightly and pour in a thin stream to boiling pot.
- I usually cook it for a while at this point (waiting for everyone to get home), but it can be served right away once the sauce thickens it up. Add the peas shortly before serving. Adjust the pepper to taste, you can also add dried red pepper flakes, carrots, dried lilies, those crunchy little long stem mushrooms (fresh), dried sliced wood ear mushroom, dried or frozen shrimp, pork, etc., as you wish or depending on what you have on hand.