Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is our family's favourite hot and sour soup. In Canada, we have a grocery chain called Loblaws that publishes a booklet called the Insiders Report. This is from an issue many years ago. Feel free to adjust ingredients to personal taste. This makes a big potful of soup. Number of servings and prep. time are estimated.
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 3⁄4 lb uncooked chicken, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 lb extra firm tofu (I like to add the entire pound)
- 6 mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 tomatoes, diced
- 2 carrots, matchsticks
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Thai sweet chili sauce (to taste)
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 3 green onions
- coriander (optional)
- Boil stock and add chicken.
- Add tofu, mushrooms, tomato, carrots and simmer for about 10 minutes, until chicken is cooked.
- Add sugar, soy sauce, sweet chili sauce, vinegar and sesame oil.
- Combine cornstarch and water.
- Bring soup to a boil.
- Add cornstarch mixture to soup mixing constantly. Simmer for 1 minute.
- Add green onions.
- Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with coriander and serve.