Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Penzey's winter catalog.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (8 ounce) can bamboo shoots, cut into matchstick-sized pieces
- 5 -6 green onions, sliced diagonally
- 8 ounces firm tofu, diced into 1/4-inch cubes (or extra firm)
- 1 (15 ounce) can straw mushrooms, drained
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons chinese black vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce or 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (8 ounce) package cellophane noodles or 1 (8 ounce) package bean thread noodles
- Slice the chicken breasts into matchstick-sized pieces and set aside.
- Heat the stock and add the vinegar, pepper and soy sauce or salt.
- Add the chicken and cook for 5-10 minutes (the chicken will float when cooked).
- Add the noodles, tofu, bamboo shoots and mushrooms and simmer for 3-5 minutes.
- Serve in bowls sprinkled with the green onions.
Wonderful flavours and so easy to make. The only challenge was cutting chicken into matchsticks! The broth is divine -- in future I would either double the broth ingredients or halve the amount of noodles. Made and thoroughly enjoyed for the Asian Forum's Use Your Noodle Tag Game.
delicious hot and sour soup, we like it spicy so I added in cayenne pepper and I omitted the tofu but increased the chicken breast, my DH loved this soup, thanks for sharing Cheesy!