1/1 Photo of Hot and Sour Soup
This a popular soup in Chinese restaruants but with a Taiwanese twist. The ingredients may be found at Asian grocery stores.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 dried wood ear mushrooms
- 1 ounce dried bean thread noodles
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 ounce boneless lean pork, cut into thin strips
- 1/4 cup carrot, cut into thin strips
- 4 ounces soft tofu, drained and cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 3 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili-garlic sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, dissolved in
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 green onions, trimmed and cut diagonally into thin strips
- 1Pour enough warm water over the dried mushrooms in a medium bowl to cover them completely. Soak until softened, about 20 minutes.
- 2While mushrooms are soaking, pour enough warm water over the noodles in a separate bowl to cover completely. Soak until softened, about 10 minutes. Drain thoroughly then cut into 4" sections.
- 3Drain the mushrooms. Cut off and discard stems of shitake mushrooms. Thinly slice the mushrooms.
- 4Bring the chicken stock to a boil in a large sauce pan/pot. Stir in the mushrooms, pork, and carrots. Simmer for 2 minutes.
- 5Stir in the noodles, tofu, vinegar, soy sauce, chili garlic sauce, sugar, and pepper. Simmer until heated through, about 2 minutes. Pour in the dissolved cornstarch and cook, stirring, until the soup boils and thickens, about 1 minute. Slowly pour in the egg, stirring the soup in a circular motion to create egg flowers.
Browse Our Top Chinese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chinese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hot and Sour Soup
Serving Size: 1 (355 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 162.8
- Calories from Fat 44
- Total Fat 4.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 57.6 mg
- Sodium 857.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 11.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried wood ear mushrooms