Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
This a popular soup in Chinese restaruants but with a Taiwanese twist. The ingredients may be found at Asian grocery stores.
- 3 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 dried wood ear mushrooms
- 1 ounce dried bean thread noodles
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 ounce boneless lean pork, cut into thin strips
- 1⁄4 cup carrot, cut into thin strips
- 4 ounces soft tofu, drained and cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 3 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili-garlic sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, dissolved in
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 green onions, trimmed and cut diagonally into thin strips
- Pour enough warm water over the dried mushrooms in a medium bowl to cover them completely. Soak until softened, about 20 minutes.
- While mushrooms are soaking, pour enough warm water over the noodles in a separate bowl to cover completely. Soak until softened, about 10 minutes. Drain thoroughly then cut into 4" sections.
- Drain the mushrooms. Cut off and discard stems of shitake mushrooms. Thinly slice the mushrooms.
- Bring the chicken stock to a boil in a large sauce pan/pot. Stir in the mushrooms, pork, and carrots. Simmer for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the noodles, tofu, vinegar, soy sauce, chili garlic sauce, sugar, and pepper. Simmer until heated through, about 2 minutes. Pour in the dissolved cornstarch and cook, stirring, until the soup boils and thickens, about 1 minute. Slowly pour in the egg, stirring the soup in a circular motion to create egg flowers.
This is my favorite soup and thanks to your recipe it turned out great, now i am soooo happy i can make this at home and not try every Chinese restaurant in town to see who can actually make a good hot and sour soup, because most of them can't.
This was my first effort at making hot and sour soup. It was delicious and got rave reviews at my dinner party for friends. I was unable to find the dried wood ear mushrooms so left them off. I can only imagine how wonderful this must be with it because it was wonderful without.