Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Everyday Food April 2004.
Make and share this Hot and Sour Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 2 (822.13 g) can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 29.58 ml soy sauce
- 1.23-2.46 ml crushed red pepper flakes
- 473.18 ml water
- 226.79 g fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and caps thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- 44.37-59.16 ml rice vinegar
- 29.58 ml cornstarch
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 198.44 g firm tofu or 198.44 g soft tofu, drained and cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 29.58 ml finely grated fresh ginger
- 3 scallions, sliced thinly
- In a large pot, combine broth, soy sauce, pepper, and water.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, whisk together vinegar and cornstarch in a small bowl.
- Add vinegar mixture to the pot and simmer, stirring, for about one minute or until thickened.
- Add egg through a slotted spoon while stirring.
- Stir in tofu.
- Remove from heat, cover, and let stand for 1 minute.
- Press ginger through a small sieve to release juice into the soup. Discard solids.
- Sprinkle with scallions and serve.
I made this today and I am happy to report that it is delicious!! I did make the recipe exactly as written and will definately make this one again. Great soup and thanks for sharing!
I think this is great the way it is. No changes here. You have all the right ingredients to make a very tasty soup. Thanks for posting.
This is a very easy and flavourful soup to make. I was out of mushrooms so I subbed thinly sliced carrots instead. My entire family loved this soup. The only alteration I made was to add a little sesame oil. Thanks for such a great recipe.