Hot and Sour Smoked Fish Soup
- Heat griller (broiler) to high and cook the banana chilli until the outer surface is charred, about 10 minutes. Allow to cool. Peel and remove seeds. Slice finely and set aside.
- In a mortar, crush the dried chilli, fresh chilli, garlic, shallots, salt and shrimp paste until fine.
- Flake the smoked fish very coarsely.
- In a large pot, bring stock to the boil, then stir in the paste.
- Add the fish, lemon grass and lime leaves, then the fish sauce, palm sugar and lime juice.
- Mix well and serve.