Recipe by evelyn/athens
A great combination of flavours and textures. A simple meal that will tingle your taste buds.
- 1 lb uncooked shrimp, peeled,deveined and butterflied
- 4 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 lb stemmed cleaned spinach
- 2 medium red bell peppers, cut into 1 inch squares
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 green onions, cut diagonally into 1 inch long pieces
- 2 cups enough steamed jasmine rice, to serve 4
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine shrimp, 2 tblsps Sherry and grated ginger in large bowl.
- Combine, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Mix remaining 2 tblsps Sherry, broth, soy, ketchup, cornstarch, vinegar, sugar sesame oil and cayenne pepper in small bowl.
- Heat 1 tblsp peanut oil in wok over high heat.
- Add walnuts and stir fry 1 minute, until fragrant and toasted.
- Transfer walnuts to plate with slotted spoon.
- Add spinach to wok and fry until just wilted, about 1 minute.
- Put spinach on a serving plate.
- Add 1 tblsp peanut oil, bell peppers and garlic to wok, stir fry 1 minute.
- Add shrimp mixture and onions and stir fry 1 minute longer.
- Stir in stock/sauce mixture.
- Cook sauce until clear and thick, about 2 minutes.
- Spoon sauce and shrimp over spinach.
- Sprinkle with walnuts and serve.