Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
I looked on recipezaar and found a few recipes for this soup, but different ingredients. Adapted from Food & Wine Magazine, one of my favorite magazines.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 lb shiitake mushroom, stemmed, caps sliced 1/4 inch thick
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 Thai chiles, minced
- 3 stalks fresh lemongrass, inner bulbs only, thinly sliced
- 1 lb medium shrimp, shelled and deveined, shells reserved
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced fresh ginger
- 1⁄4 cup asian fish sauce
- 2 quarts chicken stock or 2 quarts low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1⁄2 cup small basil leaves
- In a large, deep skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add the shiitake and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook over moderate heat, stirring a few times, until tender, 5 minutes. Uncover and cook, stirring, until the shiitake are golden, 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to the skillet. Add the chiles, lemongrass, shrimp shells, onion and ginger and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened and golden, about 7 minutes. Add the fish sauce and stock and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderate heat for 10 minutes. Strain the shrimp broth into a large bowl.
- Return the broth to the skillet; bring to a simmer over moderate heat. Add the shrimp and shiitake and cook until the shrimp are pink and curled, 1 minute. Add the lime juice and season with salt and pepper. Ladle the soup into bowls, garnish with the basil leaves and serve.