Mrs. Grosh's Note:
Dtom Yam Gkoong. An authentic Thai dish from cooking instructer, Kasma Loha-unchit Clark, www.thaifoodandtravel.com
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 quarts water or 1 1/2 quarts mild soup stock, salted with
- fish sauce, to the desired saltiness
- 1 lb trout (pan fried)
- 4 -5 stalks fresh lemongrass (dta-krai)
- 8 thin slices fresh ginger (kha)
- 4 -6 kaffir lime leaves, torn (bai ma-gkrood)
- 15 -20 whole Thai chiles, stem removed and bruised with the back of a cleaver (prik kee noo)
- 1 small shallot, quartered and sliced crosswise 1/4-inch thick
- 2 -3 tablespoons roasted chili paste (nahm prk pow)
- 1 tablespoon tamarind pulp, mixed with 1/2 cup of hot water, pulp removed (the tamarind is sold in blocks, use about 1 Tbs.)
- 2 cups fresh brown button mushrooms, sliced in 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 small firm tomatoes, cut in small wedges (optional)
- 4 green onions, cut in thin rounds
- 2 -3 limes, juice of, to desired sourness
- 1/2-1 cup cilantro leaf
- 1Cut the bottom tip off the lemon grass stalks and discard the loose outer layer(s). Then cut the stalks an inch apart at a slanted angle all the way up to the greener end where the grass blades start, exposing the inner core.
- 2Smnash each piece with the side of a cleaver, or the end of a heavy handle to bruise, releasing the aromatic oils.
- 3Place the cut lemon grass along with the sliced ginger, kaffir lime leaves, and about 2 quarts of waqter in a soup pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer with a lid on for about 20-30 minutes to draw out flavors. Strain.
- 4Add the bruised whole Thai chillies (or substitute0 and a slicd onion. Simmer a couple of minutes.
- 5Add roasted chilli paste, tamarind jui9ce, and fresh brown mushrooms.
- 6Return to a boil and simmer a couple more minutes.
- 7Stir in the tomato wedges (if using), green onions and fish.
- 8After 15-30 seconds, turn off heat, add lime juce to the desired sourness and the cilantro. Serve immediately. Do not let the fish overcook.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hot and Sour Fish Soup
Serving Size: 1 (414 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 175.2
- Calories from Fat 50
- Total Fat 5.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 43.8 mg
- Sodium 58.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 7.6 g
- Protein 19.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
kaffir lime leaves