Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Cold enough for you? Warm up with this hot and sour chicken soup! I make this when I want something light but very tasty.
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 lemongrass, stems trimmed, bruised, roughly chopped
- 3 red bird's eye chilies, deseeded, thinly sliced
- 5 kaffir lime leaves, spines removed, thinly sliced
- 2 small chicken breast fillets, trimmed
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated palm sugar
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1 cup cilantro leaf
- lime wedge, to serve
- Bring stock to the boil in a saucepan over high heat. Add garlic, lemongrass, three-quarters of the chili and half the lime leaves.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add chicken. Simmer, uncovered, turning chicken occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes or until chicken is just cooked through. Transfer chicken to a plate. Allow to cool slightly. Shred chicken and set aside.
- Strain stock mixture into a large heatproof jug or bowl. Return strained stock to saucepan.
- Bring stock to the boil over medium-high heat. Add fish sauce, sugar, 2 tablespoons lime juice and remaining chilli to soup. Stir in 1/2 cup cilantro.
- Divide chicken between serving bowls. Ladle over boiling soup. Top with remaining cilantro and lime leaves. Serve with lime.
This was easy to make and very good!