Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Original recipe from "www.VeganYumYum.com" I simplified it a bit to what I had available. This is very tasty with generous servings. It is also really versatile. Add tofu, fresh mushrooms, or other vegetables to your taste.
- 1 small onion, minced (3 oz)
- 226.79 g cabbage, about the size of a grapefruit
- 425.24 g diced tomatoes (petite dice)
- 1182.95-1419.54 ml fat free chicken broth or 1182.95-1419.54 ml vegetable broth
- 425.24 g can straw mushrooms, undrained
- 59.14 ml low sodium soy sauce
- 78.07 ml seasoned rice vinegar (see note on substituting)
- 4.92 ml hot red chili pepper flakes
- 2.46 ml salt
- black pepper, to taste (a lot!)
- NOTE: One cup of seasoned rice vinegar is the same as 3/4 cup white rice vinegar plus 1/4 cup sugar plus 2 teaspoons salt. I used this substitution and it was great.
- Spray a large soup pot with some cooking spray, and heat over medium heat. Add onion, and saute until soft.
- Meanwhile, quarter your cabbage, remove the core, and shred the cabbage with a large chef’s knife. Add tomatoes, cabbage, undrained mushrooms, and broth to the pot and stir well.
- Add the soy sauce, vinegar, chili flakes and salt. Bring to a boil, cover, then turn heat down to medium low. Simmer for 20 minutes or until cabbage is the desired tenderness.
- Grind a lot of fresh black pepper over the top and serve.
Easy and delicious!<br/>Couldn't find straw mushrooms so used regular canned mushrooms
Great recipe as written but also a wonderful base for any additions.
I absolutely LOVE this recipe. It is my go-to over chicken noodle soup. The zing in the broth is just amazing. I always add carrots and zuchinni to my recipe and it's just out favorite