1/6 Photos of Hot and Sour Cabbage Soup
Original recipe from "www.VeganYumYum.com" I simplified it a bit to what I had available. This is very tasty with generous servings. It is also really versatile. Add tofu, fresh mushrooms, or other vegetables to your taste.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 small onion, minced (3 oz)
- 226.79 g cabbage, about the size of a grapefruit
- 425.24 g diced tomatoes (petite dice)
- 1182.95-1419.54 ml fat free chicken broth or 1182.95-1419.54 ml vegetable broth
- 425.24 g can straw mushrooms, undrained
- 59.14 ml low sodium soy sauce
- 78.07 ml seasoned rice vinegar (see note on substituting)
- 4.92 ml hot red chili pepper flakes
- 2.46 ml salt
- black pepper, to taste (a lot!)
- 1NOTE: One cup of seasoned rice vinegar is the same as 3/4 cup white rice vinegar plus 1/4 cup sugar plus 2 teaspoons salt. I used this substitution and it was great.
- 2Spray a large soup pot with some cooking spray, and heat over medium heat. Add onion, and saute until soft.
- 3Meanwhile, quarter your cabbage, remove the core, and shred the cabbage with a large chef’s knife. Add tomatoes, cabbage, undrained mushrooms, and broth to the pot and stir well.
- 4Add the soy sauce, vinegar, chili flakes and salt. Bring to a boil, cover, then turn heat down to medium low. Simmer for 20 minutes or until cabbage is the desired tenderness.
- 5Grind a lot of fresh black pepper over the top and serve.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hot and Sour Cabbage Soup
Serving Size: 1 (395 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 63.9
- Calories from Fat 9
- Total Fat 1.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1606.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 5.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
seasoned rice vinegar