Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A nice side dish for barbecues. From Bon Appetit.
Make and share this Hot and Smoky Baked Beans recipe from Food.com.
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups barbecue sauce, purchased
- 3⁄4 cup dark beer
- 1⁄4 cup light molasses
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar (packed)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons chipotle chiles, minced (4 to 6)
- 6 (15 ounce) cans great northern beans, drained
- fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook bacon in large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Transfer to paper towels and drain. Transfer 2 1/2 tablespoons bacon drippings from skillet to large bowl. Finely chop bacon; add to bowl.
- Add onion and next 7 ingredients to bowl and whisk to blend. Whisk in 4 to 6 teaspoons chipotle chilies, depending on spiciness desired.
- Stir in beans. Transfer bean mixture to 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Bake uncovered until liquid bubbles and thickens slightly, about 1 hour. Cool 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
- Serves 8 to 10.
I found this same recipe in our local weekly free paper, the Merchandiser, last summer, and have made it 3-4 times since. Felt it was excellent enough to share here but found it was already posted. This recipe has trumped my tried-and-true baked bean recipe as our favorite. The combination of ingredients is the perfect mixture of hot and sweet, and the heat can be adjusted with the amount of chipotles used. I ususally tinker with recipes but have not changed a thing about this one (other than skipping the parsley if I don't have any on hand.) This recipe also works well in a crock pot, cook about 8-10 hours on low. I did leave the crockpot lid propped open at the end to thicken the beans a bit more. This recipe is well worth trying!
This is a wonderful bean recipe with a hint of heat and sweetness. We enjoyed this along with short ribs and corn on the cob. Reviewed for ZWT 4 South America. Thank you Lzyme for posting this recipe for us.