Recipe by Manami
Recipe by Courtney Swenson - the Cones have become famous for chicken coated in an ingenious mix of cornflakes, slivered almonds and sesame seeds, then wrapped in a tortilla with Mango/Jalapeno slaw and spicy ancho "paint" From: Pairing of the Day: January 2010. Judge's Choice: Best New Chicken Dishes, Published in January 2010. :) Serve with Full-Bodied, fruity Chardonnay 2007 Columbia Crest H3.
MANGO or JALAPENO SLAW
- 1⁄2 cup diced mango
- 3 large jalapenos, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 7 cups shredded coleslaw mix
- 3 cups corn flakes
- 6 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 6 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- all-purpose flour, for dredging
- 6 (5 ounce) chicken breast halves, sliced lengthwise 1 inch thick
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 6 (10 inch) flour tortillas, warmed
Directions See How It's Made
- MAKE MANGO/JALAPENO SLAW:.
- In a saucepan, combine the mango, jalapenos, vinegar, sugar, water and shallot.
- Cover and simmer until the mango is softened, 10 minutes.
- Transfer the mango mixture to a food processor and puree; scrape into a large bowl.
- Stir in the mayonnaise, cilantro, garlic and lime juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the coleslaw mix and toss to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate.
- MAKE THE CHICKEN CONES::
- Wipe out the food processor.
- Add the cornflakes, almonds, sesame seeds, sugar, red pepper and salt and pulse until coarsely chopped.
- Transfer the mixture to a large, shallow bowl.
- In a second shallow bowl, whisk the eggs with the milk.
- Fill a third shallow bowl with flour.
- Dredge the chicken strips in the flour, shaking off any excess.
- Dip them in the eggs, then roll them in the cornflake mixture.
- Set a rack over a rimmed baking sheet.
- In a large skillet, heat 1/4 inch of oil.
- Working in batches, fry the chicken over moderately high heat, turning once, until golden brown, 6 minutes; transfer to the rack.
- Set the fried chicken on the tortillas and top with the mango/jalapeno slaw.
- Roll up and eat right away.