Prep 30 mins
Cook 12 mins
I just received an email with 2 copycat recipes in it. Here is one of them...
FOR THE CUPCAKES
- 1⁄2 cup flour, Plus
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
FOR THE FILLING
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 6 ounces white chocolate, finely chopped
FOR THE GLAZE
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons boiling water
FOR THE ICING
- 1 tablespoon egg white, at room temperature
- 1 pinch cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar, Plus
- 2 -3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Make the cupcakes - Position a rack in the center and preheat oven to 325°F Lightly butter twenty-four 1-3/4" x 3/4" (1-oz) muffin of biscuit cups.
- Into a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Mix in the sugar. Make a well in the center. Whisk in the water, oil, vinegar, and vanilla. Blend until smooth. (The batter will be very thin.).
- Spoon the batter into the prepared cups. Bake until a cake tester inserted into the center of one of the cupcakes comes out clean, about 12 to 14 minutes. Cool the cupcakes in the pans on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove the cupcakes from the pans and finish cooling on the rack.
- To Make the filling - In a heavy medium saucepan over medium-high heat, bring the cream to a boil. Add the white chocolate and remove from heat. Let the mixture stand briefly; stir until smooth. Transfer to a metal bowl and refrigerate until chilled thoroughly, stirring occasionally. (To speed the process, set the metal bowl over a larger bowl of ice water; stir the chocolate mixture until cool.) With an electric mixer, beat the white chocolate mixture just until fluffy, about 1 minute.
- Transfer the filling to a pastry bag fitted with a 3/8-inch plain tip. Insert the pastry tip 1/4-inch into the bottom of each cupcake and squeeze a little filling into each one.
- To Make the glaze - Place the chocolate in a small bowl. Whisk in the boiling water and blend until smooth. One at a time, dip the top of each cupcake into the warm glaze. Turn the glazed cupcakes right side up and set them on a wire rack on top of a baking sheet. Refrigerate the cupcakes for 5 minutes to set the glaze.
- To Make the icing - In a medium bowl, whisk the egg white until frothy. Stir in the cream of tartar. Gradually mix in enough of the confectioner's sugar to make a fairly stiff and smooth icing. Fill a small paper cone with the icing and cut a 1/16-inch opening at the tip. Remove the cupcakes from the refrigerator. Pipe a design (a squiggle, spiral, etc.) on the top of each cupcake. Let the design harden and then cover and refrigerate the cupcakes. Serve at room temperature. The cupcakes can be made and refrigerated up to 2 days in advance, or frozen up to 2 weeks.