My grandmother taught me how to make Hoska, a Czechoslovakian Christmas Bread. It is a sweet bread that I normally reheat and spread with butter.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup lukewarm water until bubbly. To the warm milk add soft butter, salt, sugar, vanilla, spices and orange rind. Let cool to lukewarm.
- 2Add yeast mixture and beaten eggs and mix well. Sift in 4 cups flour, stirring well, add raisins and nuts alternately. Then add remaining flour, beat until dough does not stick to bowl.
- 3Turn out on floured board and knead until smooth and elastic about 8 or 10 minutes. Put in greased bowl, cover and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1 1/2 hours. Punch down dough and divide in half. This make 2 loaves.
- 4Cut 4 large and 5 smaller portions, roll each into long rolls. Braid the 4 rolls forming a loaf. Put on pan lined with greased brown paper. Braid the 3 smaller rolls and place on top, then remaining 2 pieces on top.
- 5Brush with beaten egg whites in a little water. Let rise to double in bulk. For rich crust brush with melted butter during baking. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes, lower temperature to 325 degrees for 45 minutes longer depending on how you like it.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hoska - Czechoslovakian Christmas Bread
Serving Size: 1 (98 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 321.4
- Calories from Fat 106
- Total Fat 11.8 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 65.3 mg
- Sodium 221.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 12.3 g
- Protein 7.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: