Two local chefs created the Springfield Horseshoe Sandwich in 1928 at the Leland Hotel in Springfield, Illinois.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup beer
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese or 3 cups colby cheese
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 2 slices bread
- 100 g cooked ham or 100 g hamburger or 100 g corned beef or 100 g chicken or 100 g bacon or 100 g shrimp or 100 g turkey, etc
- 1Prepare frozen French fries according to package directions.
- 2Meanwhile, prepare cheese sauce by first beating egg yolks and beer together.
- 3Melt butter and cheese together over boiling water, stirring in one direction only with wooden spoon.
- 4Add Worcestershire sauce, dry mustard, salt and cayenne pepper.
- 5Stirring constantly, add beer/egg mixture to cheese mixture a little at a time.
- 6Keep mixture hot as you stir, but don't let it bubble.
- 7Meanwhile, toast bread.
- 8Meanwhile, preheat platter.
- 9Place toast on platter.
- 10Place meat atop toast.
- 11Cover meat with cheese sauce.
- 12Circle platter with French fries.
- 13Add dash of paprika.
- 14Makes 1 serving.
- 16Constant stirring and top-quality cheese will yield a smooth mixture.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Horseshoe Sandwich - Copycat
Serving Size: 1 (169 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 533.3
- Calories from Fat 366
- Total Fat 40.7 g
- Saturated Fat 23.9 g
- Cholesterol 222.1 mg
- Sodium 976.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 30.2 g