Recipe by Dropbear
Two local chefs created the Springfield Horseshoe Sandwich in 1928 at the Leland Hotel in Springfield, Illinois.
Top Review by 1013660
I have the original recipe from the Leland Hotel and while this may be close... it's not quite it. Also, any self respecting Springfieldian would top the meat with the fries and THEN pour the cheese sauce over the entire sandwich. That's just how it's done. :)
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup beer
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese or 3 cups colby cheese
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 2 slices bread
- 100 g cooked ham or 100 g hamburger or 100 g corned beef or 100 g chicken or 100 g bacon or 100 g shrimp or 100 g turkey, etc
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare frozen French fries according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, prepare cheese sauce by first beating egg yolks and beer together.
- Melt butter and cheese together over boiling water, stirring in one direction only with wooden spoon.
- Add Worcestershire sauce, dry mustard, salt and cayenne pepper.
- Stirring constantly, add beer/egg mixture to cheese mixture a little at a time.
- Keep mixture hot as you stir, but don't let it bubble.
- Meanwhile, toast bread.
- Meanwhile, preheat platter.
- Place toast on platter.
- Place meat atop toast.
- Cover meat with cheese sauce.
- Circle platter with French fries.
- Add dash of paprika.
- Makes 1 serving.
- Constant stirring and top-quality cheese will yield a smooth mixture.