William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin's Note:
A fantastic recipe to use with meat dishes, shrimp cocktails, cooked potatoes and on crackers as an appetizer. This recipe was passed on to me by my Russian Grandmother and it has remained the same without any changes for the last 100 plus years.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cook scrubbed beets with skins until tender.
- 2When done, immerse in cold water immediately.
- 3Let cool slightly, peel and discard skins.
- 4Shred beets with a medium coarse grater and set aside.
- 5Scrape horseradish root well to remove any blemishes.
- 6Cut root into small pieces.
- 7Measure 1 1/2 cups of vinegar and 1 cup of cold water.
- 8Add horseradish to blender (a few pieces at a time), cover and process, adding vinegar/water mixture as required until horseradish is well blended; continue to process remainder of horseradish root.
- 9If necessary, add more vinegar and water in equal amounts so that the horseradish is well chopped and blended.
- 10In a mixing bowl, add grated beets, sugar, the remainder 3/4 cup of white vinegar and 1 cup of processed horseradish; mix well.
- 11Add sugar and salt and mix well to incorporate.
- 12If desired, add more horseradish to suit your taste, also adust seasonings to taste.
- 13Store any remaining horseradish in a glass jar with a tight fitting lid in the refrigerator.
- 14Store the jar upside down so that no air gets into the jar, lasts much longer.
Browse Our Top Spreads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Horseradish With Red Beets
Serving Size: 1 (1524 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 152.0
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1019.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 25.9 g
- Protein 2.2 g