Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A wet rub made of horseradish, fresh rosemary, garlic paste and thyme (optional).
Make and share this Horseradish Standing Rib Roast W/ Merlot Gravy recipe from Food.com.
- 3 -5 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle prepared horseradish or 2 (12 ounce) bottles prepared horseradish
- 2 -4 sprigs fresh thyme (optional)
- 1 -2 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 2 -4 garlic cloves
- 2 cups merlot or 2 cups other red wine
- 1 (11 ounce) can beef consomme
- 1 large rib roast, with bones in do not trim the fat
- To make rub:.
- Remove the leaves of the rosemary (do not discard the stems; place them aside). If also using thyme, do the same as above, also saving the stems. Place the rosemary/thyme leaves in a food processor.
- Mince the garlic. To turn the garlic into a paste, salt the pieces of garlic and with the back of a large knife run it back and forth over the salted garlic until you get a paste-like consistency.
- Add the garlic paste, and leaves into a food processor until blended uniformly.
- The Roast:.
- Do not trim the fat and do not remove the bones. Pat the roast dry then apply rub mixture liberally all over the roast.
- In the bottom of the roasting pan add 1 cup of red wine, 1 can of beef consume, and the stems from the rosemary and or thyme, for extra flavor a bay leaf can also be added to the bottom of the pan.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place roast into pan bone side down. Cook the roast uncovered for 1 1/2 to 2 hours until internal temp reaches 135°F When the roast in finished, remove from oven and from the roasting pan. remove the stems and bayleaf from the roasting pan.
- Deglaze the pan with either red wine, water, or beef stock. just enough liquid to loosen the pan drippings. Once you have done this, pour the mixture into a saucepan, bring to a boil, and then allow mixture to simmer. Add some flour or cornstarch to the mixture by first diluting it with a small amount of water. add the flour mixture a couple times until gravy had reached desired consistency.