1 hr 10 mins
A simple, hearty soup that is easy to prepare.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 3 tablespoons shallots (chopped)
- 1 quart chicken broth or 1 quart vegetable broth
- 2 cups russet potatoes (peeled and cubed)
- 1 cup fresh horseradish, grated or 1 cup prepared horseradish
- 1 lb Polish sausage (cubed)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
- 1For croutons: heat oven to 325°F.
- 2Put bread on a baking sheet and and bake in oven for 10 minutes turning once.
- 3Meanwhile, in a small sauce pan over low heat combine the oil and paprika.
- 4Simmer for 5 minutes to blend flavors.
- 5Combine the oil mixture and bread in a bowl and toss to coat.
- 6Place bread back on baking sheet and bake for another 10 minutes or until crisp.
- 7For soup: heat butter in a heavy saucepan or stockpot until melted.
- 8Add shallots and bread crumbs.
- 9Cook shallots until softened about 1 minute, don't brown the bread crumbs.
- 10Add broth, potatoes and horseradish and bring to a boil.
- 11Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until the potatoes and horseradish are tender.
- 12Place soup in blender or food processor and process till smooth.
- 13Return soup to stockpot and season with salt and pepper.
- 14In a heavy skillet over medium high heat, brown the sausage, about 5 minutes and then add to soup.
- 15Return soup to a simmer and ladle into bowls garnishing with the croutons.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Horseradish Soup
Serving Size: 1 (346 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 701.4
- Calories from Fat 432
- Total Fat 48.0 g
- Saturated Fat 16.9 g
- Cholesterol 94.6 mg
- Sodium 2223.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 26.9 g