Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
Red-skinned potatoes smashed and mixed with half-and-half, butter and bottled horseradish. From The Most Decadent Diet Ever cookbook by Devin Alexander, author of The Biggest Loser Cookbook.
- 1 lb unpeeled red potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 4 large red potatoes)
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 3 tablespoons fat-free half-and-half
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons light butter
- 1 tablespoon bottled horseradish (to taste)
- black pepper
- Place the potatoes in a medium pot. Add enough cold water to cover the potatoes by 2 inches. Place the pot over high heat and add 1 teaspoon salt. Bring the water to a boil and cook the potatoes, covered until tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Just before the potatoes are cooked, combine the half-and-half, butter, and horseradish in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on low for 1 to 2 minutes, until the butter is melted.
- Drain the potatoes and transfer to a medium mixing bowl. Use a potatoes masher or large fork to smash the slightly. Pour in the half-and-half mixture and continue to mix until the potatoes are smashed, leaving some lumps. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
Delicious! I used a dash of EVOO instead of the butter and added some chopped green onions. The horseradish really waked up the taste of the potatoes. I also used fatfree half-and-half to save even more calories. I will be making this again!
Loved these smashed potatoes and so did my DH!!! I added a bit more horseradish than the recipe calls for because we love the taste. They were so easy to make and the horseradish just put the taste over the top. Made for the AUS/NZ Make My Recipe tag, November, 2011.
The horseradish makes these potatoes special. Yum, yum and yum! I made a triple batch and we loved every bite. Served with Rosemary-Mustard Roast Leg of Lamb and Roasted Cherry or Grape Tomatoes. Thanks for posting.