Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
If there's a horseradish lover in your family, this tasty sidedish is for you. These potatoes are wonderful along side roasted beef or pork.
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese, about 8 ounces
- 1⁄3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, about 1 1/4 ounce
- 4 lbs russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/4 inch thick rounds
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup prepared horseradish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly butter 13 x 9 x 2 glass baking dish.
- Mix cheddar cheese and Parmesan in small bowl. Arrange half of potatoes in prepared baking dish, overlapping slightly. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoons of salt and 1/4 teaspoons pepper. Sprinkle onion over, then flour. Dot with 2 tablespoons butter. Sprinkle half of cheese mixture over top. Top with remaining potatoes, 1 teaspoons salt, 1/4 teaspoons pepper and 2 tablespoons butter. Reserve remaining cheese.
- Pour milk into medium saucepan. Stir in horseradish and simmer for 5 minutes. Pour milk mixture over potatoes.Cover baking dish tightly with foil. Bake 45 minutes.
- Uncover dish. Sprinkle potatoes with reserved cheese mixture. Bake uncovered until potatoes are tender and cheese is deep golden brown, about 45 minutes longer.
- Remove from oven; let stand 15 minutes before serving.