Recipe by Graybert
Another recipe from Bon Appetite Magazine
Top Review by Foggy Kitchen
I made only one change: I used GHEE instead of unsalted butter, and believe this simple, basic, traditional and delicious recipe was further enhanced. Thanks, Graybert. PS - I was lucky to acquire fresh horseradish from my German market, adding even more authenticity to the simplicity.
- 4 lbs large yellow-fleshed potatoes, peeled and quartered (Yukon Gold)
- 1 3⁄4 cups half-and-half
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into tablespoon pieces
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup drained bottled horseradish
Directions See How It's Made
- Cover potatoes with salted cold water by 2 inches in a 5-quart heavy pot, then simmer, uncovered, until very tender, about 25 minutes.
- While potatoes are simmering, bring half-and-half, butter, salt, and pepper just to a simmer, stirring until butter is melted.
- Keep hot, covered.
- Drain potatoes in a colander, then immediately force through ricer into a large bowl.
- Stir in hot milk mixture, then horseradish.
- **Ifyou don't have a ricer or food mill, you can use a handheld masher, but the consistency of the potatoes won't be as smooth.