Recipe by l0vetw0c00k
My neighbor used to give these delicious pickles as gifts. All her recipes were legend and she shared them in her very sought-after holiday cards. These pickles are very crisp and tasty, with just enough "bite" from the horseradish.
Top Review by Theresa P
These are really good pickles ! The flavor is best after they have set (refrigerated) for about a week . They turn out sweet with a nice bite from the horseradish . I will have a jar of these in the frig. at all times , from now on !!! Great recipe !!!
- 1 quart kosher dill pickle (Mt. Olive or other good brand)
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar or 1 1⁄4 cups Splenda sugar substitute
- 3 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain juice from pickles; reserve.
- Cut pickles into slices.
- Mix pickle slices and chopped onion.
- Fill clean canning jars with pickles and onions.
- Mix sugar or Spenda, horseradish, vinegar and celery seed in saucepan; heat until sugar melts over low heat.
- Pour over pickles in jars.
- Add reserved pickle juice if needed to fill jars.
- Close jars and shake to mix well.
- Store jars in refrigerator.