Horseradish Meatloaf With Caramelized Onions
- Heat oil in heavy pan, add onions, turn heat to low and let onions cook and caramelize, stirring every few minute until onions are nicely brown (about 30-40 min., don't rush this step, be careful not to burn onions), add garlic & thyme; cook about 2 minute more. When onions have cooked 15 min., preheat oven to 375.
- While onions are cooking put ground beef in a medium bowl, let come to room temp, mix together eggs, sour cream horseradish and worcestershire sauce.
- When onions are done, add bread crumbs and onion mixture to meat, season with salt and pepper, then add egg/sour cream mixture. Use your hands to GENTLY combine until all ingredients are mixed. Handle meat as litttle as possible.
- Spray broiler or roasting pan with non-stick spray, form meat into a loaf shape and place on pan.
- Bake about 1 1/2 hours or until meatloaf is nicely browned on the outside and internal temperature is 155-160 degrees.
- Let meatloaf rest 10-15 minutes before cutting; while it rests, stir together sour cream, may and horseradish to make a sauce.
- Freezes well.