Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
From Everyday with Rachel Ray. This Mac 'n' cheese has a twist to it with the added horseradish and of course you can make this dish in 30 minutes, perfect for a busy weekday dinner.
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb farfalle pasta
- 8 slices smoked bacon
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- ground nutmeg
- 2 1⁄2 cups grated extra sharp white cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped flat leaf parsley (a generous handful)
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until just shy of al dente.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Bake the bacon on a broiler pan until crisp, 25 to 30 minutes (I just use the ready cooked bacon and microwave it until it is crispy). Chop the bacon Preheat the broiler.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour for 1 minute, then wisk in the milk; season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Cook until reduced, about 5 minutes. Stir in 2 cups of cheese until melted, then remove the sauce from the heat and stir in the horseradish and teh bacon.
- In a casserole dish, combine the pasta with the sauce and top with parsley, scallions and remaining 1/2 cup cheese Broil until browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Serve with a few pickles.
Yummy dish - we served this with prime rib, as i thought the horseradish would be complimentary. Prepared just as listed. We will make again!!!