Recipe by Skypoodle
My mom was an adventurous cook for her day. She would try some of the oddest (to a finicky teenager) recipes and all she would have to say is, "Don't bother, you won't like that", and BAM! I would dive in and eat it to spite her. (Cunning, wasn't she!). This dip is one that I wouldn't try on a bet, were it not for my mother's challenge. Today, it is still a favorite of mine because it is relatively healthy snack food and I LOVE HORSERADISH!!! It is quick to prepare, and if you don't like it, then there is more for me! Mom, always served it with raw turnip slices and I do to. It is good as a dip for any crudite. It is also good on baked potatoes.
- 2 1⁄2 ounces dried beef (Chipped Beef)
- 16 ounces low fat cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish, Extra Hot*
- 2 turnips, sliced 1/8-inch-1/4-inch thick
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse the chipped beef in cold running water to remove excess salt. Pat dry and stack up for easy slicing. Slice into thin strips, about 1/8" wide.Cut the strips in half.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir beef shreds into cottage cheese until well distributed. Add the horseradish and pepper. Turn into a serving bowl and keep chilled until ready to serve.
- Serve with sliced turnips or other dipping veggies.