Horseradish Creamed Leeks
- In a large bowl of cold water fan out the leaves of the leaks and rinse them well until there is no grit.
- In a large skillet heat the butter over moderate heat until the foam begins to subside, add the leeks, patted dry, and toss them to coat them with the butter.
- Add the broth and the cream, bring the liquid to a boil, and simmer the mixture, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 25 to 35 minutes, or until the leeks are very tender.
- Transfer the leeks with a slotted spatula to a gratin dish. Stir the horseradish into the liquid remaining in the skillet and season the sauce with salt and pepper.
- Pour the sauce over the leeks, sprinkle it with Gruyère, and broil the leeks under a preheated broiler about 4 inches from the heat for 2 minutes, or until the cheese is golden.