Recipe by duonyte
From Oakland CA chef Tanya Holland, published in Sunset magazine 4/14. She developed this to serve with smoked brisket, but I imagine it would be good with any number of things. Prep times are estimated.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups finely chopped red onions
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1⁄4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 cups whole canned plum tomatoes (with juice)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2-2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a heavy medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add oinion and cook, stirring often, for about 10 minutes, until the onion is softened.
- Add the garlic and cook an additional minute longer.
- Stir in vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, and plum tomatoes, and let simmer and thicken 5 minutes, breaking up tomatoes with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Remove from heat and add remaining ingredients, then blend until smooth.