Recipe by Tara
This came from an old canning book I have, I found it very hard to find a recipe to can this. There is no prep time, it all depends on how much horseradish you have and how you can handle the heat.
Top Review by tsnyde1554
A friend had gave me some horseradish roots and I was searching for a recipe on how to make horseradish to can and this was perfect. It has a very good flavor and easy to make.
- 1 cup grated horseradish
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pickling salt or 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt or 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
Directions See How It's Made
- grated horseradish (trim skin with veggie peeler, wash and grind in a meat grinder or do in food processor) (I hear wearing goggles helps your eyes) Mix thoroughly with vinegar and salt using amounts as needed and pack into hot sterile jars.
- I usually process in a hot water bath for 10 min for pints.
- It is best to still store in the fridge, I think for colouring.
- If you want it creamy a client told me to put the whole mixture back into the food processor and puree a bit, I havent tried it yet but he said that is how the big companies do it.
- The heat all depends on the growing season and sometimes it gets hotter after stored.