Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs 15 mins
The inspiration for this delicious roast comes from chef John Besh's father-in-law, Pat Berrigan, who serves it every Christmas with horseradish sauce on the side. Besh opts to smear the roast with a horseradish, garlic & herb butter, which bakes to form an irresistible crust. However, this meal need not be only for Christmas! Recipe by chef John Besh from The Big, Easy Christmas in F&W Magazine, December 2007 edition.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 head garlic, cloves coarsely chopped
- 1 cup prepared horseradish
- 1⁄4 cup fresh thyme, plus
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 16 lbs beef rib roast
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 325°F
- In a food processor, combine the butter with the garlic, horseradish, thyme, rosemary and sage and process to a paste.
- Stand the roast in a very large roasting pan.
- Season generously all over with salt and pepper and set it fatty side up.
- Spread the horseradish-herb butter all over the top.
- Bake for about 3 1/2 hours, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 125°F for medium rare.
- Transfer the roast to a carving board to rest for at least 20 minutes or for up to 1 hour before serving.
- MAKE AHEAD The horseradish-herb butter can be refrigerated overnight.
- Let the butter soften before using.
- Serve with popovers from recipe #60384 and make with 3 tablespoons of the fat from the roast, french string beans, a nice bread and a sustantial Cabernet Sauvignon; Cabernet's firm tannins help cut the richness of the red meat.