Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A moist, tasty, and healthy muffin! Perfect for breakfast, snacks, or tea. These muffins are sugar-free, but if you prefer a sweeter muffin, add a bit of sugar to the batter or sprinkle on top before baking.
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup water (may substitute milk, buttermilk, or juice)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 2 carrots, coarsely grated
- Preheat oven to 350°F Spray 9 muffin cups with no-stick cooking spray.
- Combine oatmeal, applesauce, and water. Stir to combine.
- Add flour through allspice. Stir until just combined.
- Stir in carrots.
- Fill muffin cups 3/4 full.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes. (This time depends on your oven--check after 15 minutes.).
Really gummy and just tasted awful. I wish I had a horse to give these to.
When I first made these, I agreed with some other reviews that they were gummy and not really very pleasant. Made according to the recipe, I found that they were too wet, stuck to my muffin papers, not at all sweet and just a general disappointment. AND THEN I TRIED THEM THE NEXT DAY! Wow, so much better. The texture was much nicer, the applesauce worked it's magic and they were just the right amount of sweet. Next time I'm adding some nuts or perhaps a museli mix instead of straight oats.