Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I made this cake for my DD's 8th birthday. I got the "pattern" from Family Fun - the original recipe and instructions are below, but as you can see from the pic, I made some changes to suit our tastes. Serving size is a guesstimate, as is the cook/prep time since that will be determined by your cake recipe and how fast or elaborately you decorate!
- 1 baked 13- x 9- x 2-inch cake
- 3 cups chocolate frosting
- 1 cup white frosting
- black licorice strings
- life savers candy
- mini jawbreaker candy
- black jelly beans
- marzipan, carrot
- additional frosting, etc
- Freeze the cake for 2 to 3 hours, then cut and arrange: place cake in front of you so that the long side is parallel to the edge of the counter. Cut an arch (see picture) from the cake for the horse's head. Cut a triangluar shape on the bottom of the rectangle where the mouth/head would curve back up toward the neck (look at the picture and I think you'll know what I mean). Take the triangular shaped piece you just cut and place in on top for the horse's ear. If this doesn't make sense, there is a diagram for cutting on the Family Fun website.
- Frost the cake brown, adding a white frosting mane. (I frosted mine with melted chocolate that you would use for candy - like almond bark, but chocolate. Once it firmed up, I cut away the excess around the sides, and piped on chocolate frosting for the mane).
- Braid the licorice for the bridle and reins and connect them with Life Savers candies. (I used ribbon - we don't like licorice.).
- Coil black licorice for the eye and top it with a Necco wafer and a mini jawbreaker. (I also piped the eyes and nose on with frosting).
- Give the horse a jelly-bean nose to sniff his marzipan carrot treat.
This is a great way to make a horse cake. I made this for my granddaughters birthday. I used a marshmallow, cut in half, for the eye with a brown M&M stuck to it with frosting. Used black frosting with red lifesavers for the bridle. I used a decorating tip that makes grass for the mane. This is such an easy cake to make.