- 1 cup flour
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
- 1 egg
- 8 fluid ounces molasses
- 6 fluid ounces boiling water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked pastry shells
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together the flour, brown sugar and shortening.
- Set aside ½ cup of this mixture for the topping.
- Add to the remaining mixture the egg, molasses, boiling water and baking soda.
- Spread this mixture into the un-baked pie shell.
- Spread the ½ cup of crumb topping over the pie.
- Bake at 375°F for 10 minutes.
- Reduce temperature to 350°F and bake for 30 minutes or until firm.