Recipe by Wheres_the_Beef?
This is a delicious copycat recipe for Hormel Beanless Chili. The secret ingredient in crushed Fritos Corn Chips.They add a unique flavor and texture to the chili. We serve this over hot dogs, hamburgers, polenta, grits, etc.
Top Review by schultzal
As an American living abroad, I have had a craving for chili dogs with Hormel No Beans chili for months. I have to say that this recipe tastes nothing like it. While it is not a bad chili, calling it a copycat recipe is a major miss.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tablespoon bacon grease
- 6 cups cold water
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces canned tomato sauce
- 4 tablespoons mild chili powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1 cup Fritos corn chips, crushed
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown the meat with bacon grease in 4-qt dutch oven. When browned, pour off excess grease except for 2 Tablespoons.
- In a 2-qt mixing bowl, add water. Whisk in cornstarch until fully blended. Whisk in flour until fully blended. Whisk in tomato sauce until fully blended.
- Stir into the water mixture chili powder, paprika, dried onion, cumin, garlic powder, pepper and salt. Mix well.
- Add water mixture to meat in dutch oven.
- Stir in the crushed fritos corn chips.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer 45-minutes. Stir well and scrape bottom of pot every 5-minutes to prevent burning.
- Serve as is or blend slightly with hand blender for a smoother chili.
- Serve over hot dogs, hamburgers, polenta, etc.