Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
A basic greek salad recipe. Notice the lack of lettuce!
- 4 -5 large ripe tomatoes
- 1 large red onion
- 1 cucumber
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1⁄4 lb feta cheese, crumbled or sliced
- dried oregano
- sea salt
- top quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1 dozen olive (Kalamata, green Cretan olives, etc.)
- pickled hot pepperoncini pepper (garnish)
- 1 tablespoon water
- Wash and dry the tomatoes, cucumber, and green pepper. Clean off the outer skin from the onion, wash, and dry.
- Cut the tomatoes into bite-sized irregularly shaped chunks, removing the core. Slice the cucumber into 1/4-inch slices, cutting slices in half (whether or not you peel the cucumber is a personal choice).
- Slice the pepper into rings, removing the stem and seeds. Slice the onion into thin rings.
- Combine the tomatoes, cucumbers, green pepper and onion in a large salad bowl. Sprinkle with oregano and salt, pour olive oil over the salad, and toss.
- Just before serving, place the feta on top of the salad, either as a slice or crumbled and toss in some olives. Sprinkle the cheese with oregano (and pepper if desired), mix the oil and water and drizzle over the top, and serve, garnished with hot peppers.
Wow this is a wonderful salad! I don't care for raw onion so left it out and used grape tomatoes, halved. When adding the cheese and olives before serving, I just added more oregano and salt and didn't add the additional olive oil and water. This was great served with dinner a few hours after making; served the next day in a pita for lunch and it was really outstanding! Thanks for sharing a keeper! Made for ZWT9, The Apron String Travelers
I loved the combination of all these ingredients and didn't miss the lettuce at all. For our taste, we needed a little more tart though, so I sprinkled some wine vinegar on the salad and it was perfect. Made for Mike and the Appliance Killers ZWT9.
Loved this! I followed all directions except for adding water to the olive oil. I also included some romaine lettuce (I know it's not authenic, but it's the way we like it). Absolutely delicous. I really loved and was completely satisfied by the simple dressing of olive oil, oregano and salt. Great combination of flavors. Thank you!